Can You Keanu?
August 21, 2014, San Francisco, CA: Point Break LIVE!, the internationally lauded, full-immersion, smash hit, absurdist stage adaptation of the 1992 Keanu Reeves/Patrick Swayze extreme-sports blockbuster, has been extended for four more shows by popular demand at the storied DNA Lounge beginning Friday, September 5, 2014 and reoccurring every first Friday of the month until December 5, 2014.
Described by Australia’s PopMag.com, as “a cross between reality TV, a play, and all-time classic film ‘Point Break,’ every show features a new unrehearsed actor (selected from the audience), playing ‘Johnny Utah‘ with their lines read off cue-cards so as to capture Keanu Reeves raw acting talent.” The San Francisco Examiner states, “The fact that the movie is a surf saga and doesn’t necessarily lend itself to an adaptation for the stage is what makes the show all the more ridiculous and a must-see.”
Point Break LIVE! features armed robbery, big-wave surfing, car chases, explosions, no less than two extended skydiving sequences and an indoor monsoon. “’Point Break LIVE!’ turns out to be a wild ride,” states SFWeekly, because this "action" play offers a true cathartic experience, putting you in the water with the surfers, throwing you out the door of an airplane, and robbing you at gunpoint. Add in the hotness factor - surfer dudes and female stunt doubles - and you have a night of unrivaled exciting live theater entertainment.
The SFWeekly called the return of Point Break LIVE! to San Francisco after a two-year hiatus, “for folks who prefer a little adventure with their theater, Point Break LIVE! will be an absolute blast. The evening feels like a night at the theater, a rock n' roll concert and a wild party all rolled into one. It's loud, hysterical and occasionally frightening.”
Called “Hilarious” by Variety Magazine, Point Break LIVE! tells the story of former College-football-star-turned-FBI-agent, Johnny Utah, in pursuit of the surfing, bank robbing, skydiving, bare-hand-fighting adrenaline-junkie-cum-Zen-master Bodhi Sattva. Since its Seattle debut in 2003, Point Break LIVE! has ‘rawked’ sold out audiences and received rave reviews in Minneapolis, Chicago, New York City, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. The producers and cast of San Francisco’s first Point Break LIVE! production were honored with a City Proclamation from Mayor Gavin Newsom on its opening day, April 11, 2008, “for their efforts in creating another successful entertainment institution in San Francisco.” In response to such high praise, Gawker.com firmly stated, “They should make it TWO days.”
What: “Point Break LIVE!” at DNA Lounge
Where: DNA Lounge, 375 Eleventh Street, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel: 415-626-1409, Web: http://www.dnalounge.com
When: September 5, 2014, Friday: 11:00 p.m.
October 3, 2014, Friday: 11:00 p.m.
November 7, 2014, Friday: 11:00 p.m.
December 5, 2014, Friday: 11:00 p.m.
Doors are 30-minutes prior to listed show times.
Tickets: Best Ticket Deal! See Both Point Break LIVE! (11: p.m.) and Terminator Too: Judgment Play (7:30 p.m.) in One Night: Seated GA: $40 (Save $10).
Single Show Ticket Prices: $20 Standing Room Only, $25 for seated GA floor or balcony, $35 GA table seating & $50 for the “VIP Ultimate Rush” which includes seating in the first three rows, a meatball sandwich, poncho and a Point Break LIVE! Tee-shirt. Only two six-person VIP booths with bottle service are available for each performance, and includes a bottle of liquor, a platter of special Angelo Pappas Memorial Meatball Sandwiches, and a poncho and Point Break LIVE! tee-shirt for each guest for $615.00. Tickets are available exclusively through the DNA Lounge’s website at:
If not sold out, tickets are also available at the door. For more info, cast photos, and video, please visit http://www.pointbreaksf.com or if in Los Angeles, please visit: http://www.pointbreakla.com. For more info, cast photos, and video, please visit: . To arrange an interview with Executive Producer Thomas Blake Jr., please contact Christopher Buttner, contact info above.
· “The cast of Point Break LIVE! and Terminator Too: Judgment Play brought a super high-energy, fun and hilarious new element to the Bonnaroo Cinema experience this year (2014).” - David Owen, Bonnaroo Cinema Curator
· "In a nutshell: About the most dead-on dose of hilarity to ever be on stage." - LA.COM
· "So hideously over the top, you can't stop laughing." - LA WEEKLY
· "Can only be described as all-encompassing, wet, interactive, loud, extreme, and altogether awesome." - LA2Day.com
· "Point Break LIVE! shamelessly rides the gnarly breakers of travesty until viewers wipe out on the shoals of helpless laughter." - LA TIMES
· “I had a great time at the show and couldn't believe my eyes at how creative and funny these actors were.” Elena Ovalle, Arts and Entertainment Examiner.com
· "Point Break Live" is a hilarious and unabashedly satirical mess that demands to be seen.” Andrew Rasley, Chicago Contemporary Arts Examiner
· “Point Break LIVE! turns out to be a wild ride.” - SFWeekly (2008)
· “The ‘Rocky Horror Picture Show’ for our generation” - HustlerofCulture.com
· “What the play lacked in big Hollywood budget, it more than made up for in good, old fashioned slapstick comedy and deliciously awkward moments.” - Santa Cruz Sentinel